Shopee users saved a total of US$1.7 billion on groceries and essentials, while new local sellers from 200 localities came online with Shopee in 2022
SINGAPORE, April 4, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Businesses and shoppers have strengthened their digital resilience by maximising opportunities through e-commerce, even as societies reopened and local communities navigate macroeconomic challenges.
According to Shopee Serves: Building Resilience with Technology, shoppers across Southeast Asia saved US$1.7 billion on groceries and essentials during Shopee's monthly shopping campaigns, as well as bigger savings brought in partnership with sellers and brands. More shoppers and businesses were able to access e-commerce, with 85% of new users coming from underserved regions outside of capitals and major cities, while new local sellers from 200 localities came online with Shopee. In addition, Shopee also scaled up support for local communities in need, with 600,000 people participating in CSR efforts organised by Shopee and trusted partners across 2022.
Terence Pang, Chief Operating Officer at Shopee, said, "Over the last year, we continued to support our communities as they navigated a particularly challenging environment. With our commitment to supporting the needs of our buyers and sellers, we helped users save more on everyday needs while helping businesses capture opportunities, such as connecting and deepening their engagement with untapped audiences already in our ecosystem. We are grateful for their continued trust in us, and we remain fully focused on helping our communities strengthen their resilience through the year ahead."
Despite social and economic challenges, people and businesses found more value and new opportunities online, aided by Shopee's efforts to create value and new opportunities for all users:
- Creating value: Shoppers benefited from a collective US$1.7 billion in savings on groceries and everyday essentials by shopping online during monthly shopping campaigns on Shopee, including the Big Ramadhan Sale in Indonesia, and exclusive brand deals, helping shoppers manage the rising cost of living.
- In Singapore, Shopee continued to work closely with brands and sellers to provide users with more value and save on all their needs. During the 11.11 Big Sale, local shoppers saved 19 times more than the average day with Shopee and its partners.
- Forging new opportunities: Millions of local sellers across Southeast Asia grew their digital presence in 2022, with Shopee helping them to attract new customers and engage deeply with loyal buyers.
- In Indonesia, a handicraft seller based in Tulungagung in East Java grew her online store on Shopee. Aside from growing her business, she has created job opportunities for other people in her community as she now leads a team of 16 people to meet the needs of her customers.
Southeast Asia's digital economy developed rapidly during the pandemic as more people adopted new technologies into their lives. Beyond cost savings and improving business resilience for MSMEs, more users transacted in the digital economy for the first time in 2022 on Shopee:
- Creating more joy and value: More people were able to enjoy the speed and ease of online shopping, no matter where they were
- Tens of millions of users shopped on Shopee for the first time in 2022, with over 85% coming from underserved regions outside of capitals and major cities
- Across Southeast Asia, local sellers from 200 localities came online with Shopee
- Growing digital access: More users transacted online using other services such as digital payments and food deliveries
- 24 million users made their first ShopeePay transaction in 2022;
- In Indonesia, offline merchants received guidebooks and workshops from Shopee to bridge the online gap, creating a 50% uplift in transactions for local SMEs during the initiative.
- In Vietnam, ShopeePay actively collaborates with local government organisations to improve accessibility to digital payments. By participating in industry events such as 'Cashless Day' in Hanoi, ShopeePay reached more than 2,000 attendees and provided guidance on how to set up an e-wallet, link bank accounts and access a variety of digital services including ShopeeFood.
Across 2022, Shopee continued to use its platform and resources to benefit communities in need:
- Supporting meaningful local causes: Approximately 600,000 people participated in CSR efforts organised by Shopee and trusted partners, in support of communities in need
- In Thailand, Shopee launched a new initiative, #Seller101TogetherWeGrow, in support of disabled sellers by helping them develop digital skills and start a business online. By collaborating with organisations such as ETDA Digital Citizen (EDC) by the Electronic Transactions Development Agency (ETDA) and Department for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Shopee hosted a training workshop for 30 disabled sellers to guide them through the process of setting up a shop on Shopee.
- In Indonesia, Shopee gave a modern twist to sustainability by contributing to tree-planting efforts with its popular in-app game, Shopee Tanam. With the Ministry of Forestry and Environment and Sangga Buana, Shopee planted 3,500 seeds in Jakarta and West Java that benefit the environment and coffee farmers.
- Uplifting local talent: Shopee also continued to upskill homegrown sellers, entrepreneurs and talents with programs such as Shopee University and Shopee Code League, putting them in a better position to succeed in the digital economy
- 2 million sellers upskilled through Shopee University as of 2022
- Approximately 20,000 local talents upskilled through Shopee's tech competitions and training programs
Access Shopee Serves: Building Resilience with Technology in full here.
Shopee is the leading e-commerce platform in Southeast Asia & Taiwan. Shopee connects shoppers, brands and sellers across Asia and other fast-growing markets, empowering anyone to buy and sell anywhere and at any time.
Shopee offers an easy, secure, and engaging experience that is enjoyed by millions of people daily. It offers a wide product assortment, supported by integrated payments and logistics, as well as popular entertainment features tailored for each market. Shopee is also a key contributor to the region's digital economy with a firm commitment to helping brands and entrepreneurs succeed in e-commerce.
Shopee is a part of Sea Limited (NYSE:SE), a leading global consumer internet company. In addition to Shopee, Sea's other core businesses include its digital entertainment arm, Garena, and digital financial services arm, SeaMoney. Sea's mission is to better the lives of consumers and small businesses with technology.